Wednesday, January 7, 2015

By Far Coldest Run I Have Ever Been On

It's currently 8 degrees out with a wind chill of -7.  I was only half planning on running today because of all the cold hype.  A ton of schools have scheduled delays for tomorrow for the cold and CT people are freaking out over the weather (which is pretty standard... the freaking out, not the weather).

That being said I headed out tonight in a ton of clothes and one of husband's yellow Tyvek hazmat suits.  The Tyvek was a smart decision for sure.  I went out in just the clothes to test them - no good, but after putting the suit on I was not cold at all - with the exception of my face which eventually was just numb.  Note to self: bring a Tyvek suit to the race.  I have heard that its common to get hypothermia at night and that your body stops being able to regulate it's temperature at a certain point - so I'm packing some of these bad boys for sure!

One interesting thing that I noticed was that despite the fact that I was pretty much warm (save for my numb face), it was very difficult to run.  It almost felt like being at altitude... I was definitely moving slow - but got a good amount of honks from drivers - by so that was encouraging (probably more for my ridiculous appearance a la "running from the zombie apocalypse")!


No comments:

Post a Comment